Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Broccoli, mushroom and sundried tomato pizza



Today, I finally got hold of a book I've been looking forward to for a couple of months now: Vegan Pizza by Julie Hasson, published earlier this month, when it arrived at my wonderful local, independent and radical bookshop, Word Power Books. Whilst I was growing up in London, pizza night was always the most excitedly-anticipated night of the week for me, food-wise, and after I went vegan, one of the happiest moments of my early vegan experiences was trying vegan pizza and realising that it could actually be just as good, if not better, than non-vegan pizza. Needless to say, I was super excited about the release of this new cookbook.




Luckily for me, the actual book was just as exciting in real life as it had been whilst I was anticipating using it! The recipes are really well laid out and user-friendly, with some really great and interesting ideas for making pizza that bit more exciting. Clearly, there was only ever going to be one option on the table for dinner tonight (pizza) but it took me a good while of reading through all the wonderful recipes and topping combinations before I settled on the broccoli, mushroom and sundried tomato pizza.

Julie's recipes are really straightforward to follow, and so this evening I turned these ingredients:


Into two delicious pizzas!



I really like this book so far, and I think my flatmate Galen and my friend Annelie enjoyed eating the pizzas with me as well. Based on tonight's success, I think Vegan Pizza is likely to become one of my most-used vegan cookbooks!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the delicious pizza - was a great surprise when I got in and it was being cooked! Definitely successful - I'll need to try your recipe sometime :D Galen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look really good. How long did it to make? Looking forward to more recipes from the book - I could definitely be swayed into buying a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dough was really quick and done in less than 10 minutes, and then left in the kitchen to rise for about 3 hours. The tomato sauce was similar - as long as it takes to chop garlic and blend the rest of the ingredients. With the toppings, this pizza was really simple and fast as it was just as long as it took to chop all the veggies that went on top, whilst the pine nuts were toasting in the oven. Some of the other recipes are more complex for meaty style toppings, but the flavour combinations on this one really caught my fancy.

      Delete
  3. Oooh exciting, I've had this on my wishlist for a while now and now I might have to give in and get it when I get home!

    ReplyDelete