Monday, 23 September 2013

The wonderful world of vegan podcasting


Before I went vegan, I never really listened to many podcasts apart from BBC Radio 4's weekly Friday Night Comedy podcast. However, as a new vegan in the midst of trying to learn as much as I could about animal rights and veganism, I began listening to and subscribing to quite a few vegan podcasts. Being a vegan can sometimes feel quite lonely, especially if you don't have huge numbers of supportive vegan friends around, and I've definitely found that listening to podcasts can really help me to feel that I'm part of a much wider community of people who care about animal rights around the world and are doing something to try and change things for the better. I've tried a few different ones, and have ended up with four podcasts that I really like and listen to regularly, so I thought I would share them here with you for VeganMoFo 2013.





The Vegan Option is definitely one of my all-time favourite podcasts! It's the only British vegan podcast I regularly listen to, and although host and producer Ian McDonald doesn't put out new episodes as frequently as many podcasters, every single episode is of a very high standard (both of sound quality and content), and filled with accurate information and well-balanced debates and arguments on all kinds of vegan topics, including the ethics of palm oil, animals in science fiction and whether cats can live on a vegan diet. If you haven't already, you should definitely check this podcast out.



Team Earthling is a weekly Australian vegan podcast which was founded in 2011 by hosts Stevie and Luc and which is, in their own words, "dedicated to the idea that animals are not ours to use." I've really enjoyed listening to their takes on a number of animal rights and veganism related issues, hearing news from Australia and around the world about animal rights campaigns, and learning about the importance of making our veganism intersectional.



Big Fat Vegan Radio is a relatively new American podcast hosted by Ben Strothmann/Honey LaBronx and Laura Yaz, broadcasting from New York City and San Francisco. One of the main reasons that I enjoy listening to Big Fat Vegan Radio is their entertaining style, irreverent humour and ability to connect veganism with LGBT issues, as well as conducting some very interesting interviews with animal rights advocates across the United States.



Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Food for Thought podcast really is a classic of vegan podcasting, having been produced continuously since 2006, and covering a range of vegan issues in a very informative and compassionate way. Interspersed with factual episodes on subjects relevant to animal rights and veganism, Colleen also includes fantastic readings of fictional works and literature with relevance to vegan issues. Her calm, considered manner and informative content about a number of different topics make this an absolute classic; if you are only going to choose to subscribe to one vegan podcast, this should be the one!



Do you have any favourite vegan podcasts that you'd like to share? Please do write any ones that you like in the comments section below!


 
Update 16 April 2014: I no longer listen to Food for Thought or Big Fat Vegan Radio, but I have started listening regularly to the excellent Team Earthling podcast and Which Side podcast, both of which I would highly recommend.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I need new podcasts! Thanks for this! I love Our Hen House but I need to listen to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. It was really nice to meet you at VegFest :).

    ReplyDelete