Sunday, 1 September 2013

What I've been eating in Manaus



Happy VeganMoFo! This is my first post in what I hope will be a very active and interesting month of blogging about veganism.

Whilst I've been in Manaus in Brazil for the last fortnight, I've been staying at the home of the wonderful Narhuna from Greenpeace with her and her family, so for pretty much all of my time here I've been eating in their house for breakfast and dinner, and having lunch in the canteen of the Greenpeace office, where I have been volunteering during the week.

As being vegan is much less common here than in the United Kingdom, getting vegan food has been slightly harder here than it is in the Greenpeace office in London, where all the food served is always vegetarian, with plenty of vegan options. On the first day I was here, there was very little I could eat in the canteen except plain rice and salad! There is definitely a lesson there in the importance of telling people you are vegan in advance of arriving somewhere that you're not sure what the vegan options will be like.



However, once the kitchen staff understood what I did and didn't eat as a vegan, the food options quickly became exceptionally good, and on my last day of volunteering in the office on Friday, they made the most amazing meal for me of roasted aubergine stuffed with chickpeas, rice, salad and spaghetti with home-made vegan pesto! When people make an effort to make sure that there is something tasty that I can eat as a vegan, it means a huge amount to me, so I really can't thank them enough.


In addition to this, eating with Narhuna and her family has introduced me to some really fantastic Amazonian food. In the mornings, we've been eating a delicious kind of tapioca pancake drizzled with olive oil, black coffee and fruit. The fruit here is so flavoursome and delicious compared to at home in Scotland, and it's one of the things I'll miss most after I leave.


Today's lunch at Narhuna's house was pretty tasty too; spaghetti, rice and stir-fried vegetables in a balsamic style sauce. Simple and delicious! It's not quite a traditional British Sunday lunch, but it definitely filled me up.


4 comments:

  1. It's super cool to get to see what you've been eating in Brazil. I'm looking forward to reading your MoFo posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I've definitely enjoyed eating it! Once I get home later this month I'll be posting up some Brazilian vegan recipes too.

      Delete
  2. Ooh yum! I like the look of the chickpea-stuffed eggplant and the tapioca pancake! It's so nice that they made food for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! Looks like some good eats.

    ReplyDelete