Wednesday, 16 October 2013

A couple of sweet treats

This week, I've been making a couple of sweet things using recipes I've found on the internet. One of the great things about being vegan in the twenty-first century is that you can find so many amazing and diverse recipes online to make pretty much anything you fancy! These were two recipes that I tried making for the first time this week:

First of all, I made a chocolate truffle torte using a recipe submitted to the Guardian Readers' Vegan Recipe Swap earlier this year. This was surprisingly easy to make, even though it involved quite a lot of ingredients and different steps. It's really chocolatey, nutty, orangey and delicious, and unlike many vegan cakes which call for silken tofu as an ingredient, you really can't tell it's in there.



I also made my first ever batch of homemade jam using pears from my parents' garden in London and apples from my aunt's garden in Oxfordshire, using a recipe from the (non-vegan) blog Tales from a Well-Stocked Larder. This jam came out really quite dark, as you can see from the picture, because I used soft brown sugar rather than white sugar to make it. I have already tried it on some toast with vegan margarine, and I have to say that I really like it! I think I'll be making a lot more jam in the future, not least because it's so much easier to make than I imagined it would be.

2 comments:

  1. So true - I don't know any vegans in real life, but thanks to the internet I get to read droolworthy recipes from half way around the world! I'm so impressed with that cake - I'm actually even more impressed you had the willpower to take a picture before you dived right in!

    That's a great looking set of jam. I'm quite partial to a bit of jam making - it's definitely not as hard as I thought, bar the odd not setting freak event!

    ReplyDelete